This recipe for a stacked Caprese salad offers up a delicious twist on an old classic. Grilling the fresh tomato and zucchini slices brings out the wonderfully rich, sweet taste of the vegetables and is a fantastic counter point to the smooth, creamy mozzarella cheese and tangy vinaigrette. The colorful layers make a beautiful presentation - worthy of the fanciest dinner party. An easy side dish and fun for kids too!
The video below, by celebrity Chef Fabio Viviano and Bertolli, shows you step by step how to build this tasty summer salad. He uses a Balsamic glaze, or reduction, that is a nice, affordable alternative to pricey aged Balsamic vinegar. Just a few drops is all you need.
If the video isn't showing, please refresh your page. Thanks!
Stacked Caprese Salad with Grilled Tomato and Zucchini
A delicious twist on the classic Caprese salad - this recipe with grilled tomato and zucchini slivers adds a wonderful sweetness that you don't get with the standard fresh tomato-mozzarella salad. The colorful stacked layers make for a lovely dinner party presentation. Using Balsamic glaze (reduction) keeps it affordable.
- 1 Ball of Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella
- 2 Ripe Tomatoes
- 1/2 Small Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- A Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves, Washed and Dried
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Fresh-ground Black Pepper
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Balsamic Glaze (or aged Balsamic Vinegar)
- Heat the grill to medium high
- Slice the tomato in half, through the middle
- Slice the bottom off so the pieces sit flat when stacked
- Cut in half again to make thick slices
- Season with salt and pepper and place season-side down on hot grill
- Using a potato peeler, peel zucchini lightly, then slice a few pieces lengthwise
- Season and drizzle with a touch of extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking
- Using your fingers, rub the oil to coat the zucchini well
- Place the zucchini on the grill
- Turn the veggies after a few minutes to get a good sear on both sides
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a small mixing bowl
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the paprika and whisk it all together
- Mince the garlic and add to the dressing
- Add a few drops of the Balsamic Glaze, whisk together
- Adjust to taste
- Start with a tomato slice
- Add fresh basil leaves
- Add mozzarella and zucchini
- Repeat 3 times
- Drizzle with vinaigrette dressing
- Finish with a few drops of the Balsamic Glaze
Use 1 tomato and 1/2 a Mozzarella ball per person.
There was an issue loading your timed LeadBox™. Please check plugin settings.