Pappardelle with herb oil is a light, fresh and delightful pasta recipe that takes full advantage of both garden-fresh herbs and fresh pasta. Paper-thin shavings of real Parmegiano-regianno cheese on top add a bite of rich, briny sharpness that cuts the oil beautifully. Exquisite!
Watch the bonus video by Gordon Ramsey below on how to cut fresh herbs.
This recipe is featured in the cookbook: "Pasta 101 - 12 Easy Pasta
Recipes You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes."
If you can't see the video below, please refresh the page. Thanks!
If you can't see the herb video below, please refresh the page. Thanks!
Recipe: Pappardelle with Herb Oil
A beautiful and refreshing pasta recipe that takes full advantage of garden-fresh herbs and fresh pasta. Perfection!
- 16 oz. fresh pappardelle or sheet pasta, cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of fresh Italian parsley, rough chopped
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves, gently rolled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of chives or green onions, diced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved thin
- Salt & fresh-cracked black pepper
- Fresh pea shoots for garnish
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. While the water is heating...
- Gently chop the herbs and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan and sauté the sweet onion on low until just soft.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute until just fragrant. Don’t let it brown or it will be bitter. Return the heat to low.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, add 2 tablespoons of salt and drop in the pasta. Stir gently to prevent sticking. Cook until just al dente. Fresh pasta cooks very quickly so keep an eye on it.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the herbs to the oil, season very lightly and stir to blend. Keep warm on low.
- When the pasta is ready, reserve some of the starchy pasta water and set aside.
- Drain the hot pasta and transfer it directly to the saucepan. Toss to coat well. Add in the starchy water, a splash at a time, and stir together about a minute for a beautifully fragrant, spring green herb sauce.
- Plate and garnish with thin shavings of Parmesan cheese and fresh pea shoots.
Add whatever fresh herbs you like...mint, coriander or cilantro. Garlic scapes would be fabulous as well! If using fresh pasta, watch the cooking time as it cooks much faster than dried.
There was an issue loading your timed LeadBox™. Please check plugin settings.